Newry’s top employees were celebrated at the Greater Newry Area’s inaugural business employee awards in the city on Saturday evening.
Hosted by Newry Chamber of Commerce & Trade, more than 200 employees from across the region attended the glittering awards ceremony in the Canal Court Hotel.
Ten employees and one team won the top awards on the night with the overall Employee of the Year awarded to Vladimir Mishurov from Deli Lites Ireland. The Team of the Year went to Kilkeel based Rockwell Collins. A further 5 teams and 29 employees from businesses and organisations across the Greater Newry area received commendations on the night for their achievements.
Speaking at the awards ceremony, Paul Convery, President of Newry Chamber of Commerce & Trade said: “Tonight is an opportunity for public recognition of the outstanding performance that employees deliver every day. This is Newry Chamber of Commerce and Trade’s first ever employee awards ceremony and the interest in the awards has far exceeded our expectations”.
• Tourism & Hospitality – Natasha Daryaie – The Fun House
• Manufacturing & Engineering – Richard Hughes – Exact CNC NI Ltd
• Retail – Louise Grant – MacAdorey Optometrists
• Public Sector – Stephen Simpson – PSNI
• Professional Services – Sean Brady – Autoline Insurance Group
• Creative, Media, Digital or Technology – Steve Malone – Newry Democrat
• Property & Construction – Thomas Murnin – Branagan Construction Limited
• Family Business – Alice Tavey – Kukoon Rugs
• Team of the Year – Composites NPI Engineering Team – Rockwell Collins
• Unsung Hero – Richard Campbell – NIFRS
• Overall Employee of the Year – Vladimir Mishurov – Deli Lites Ireland
Highlighting the value of a public recognition event for employees, Mr. Convery said: “This evening is not just about the individual winners, it is also about highlighting the importance of every employee to business and organisational success. The fact that we are having an employee awards ceremony sends out a very strong message about the importance of employees to business success.”
Commenting on the success of the event, Chief Executive of the Chamber, Colm Shannon said: “With more than 60 nominations for the awards and over 200 employees from businesses and organisations across the Newry area turning out for the ceremony, the awards scheme has been a great success.
“It is not just the success on the night but the quality of the nominations which has been so impressive. It says so much about the skills, talent and commitment of people working in the Greater Newry area.”
Hosted by the BBC’s Mark Simpson, the event was attended by some of Newry’s top businesses.
The awards were judged independently and cover a broad range of businesses and organisations across 11 different categories. Each award has been individually sponsored.