Halloween is a time for spooky fun, crazy costumes, dastardly decorations, trick-or-treating and fun-filled parties with friends and family!
It’s also a time when we generate a lot of extra waste! As a result, Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council is encouraging all of its residents to recycle all their excess food and waste materials and enjoy a guilt-free Halloween!!
Whether you’re throwing a party at home, or you’re off out trick-or-treating with the kids, these tips will help you cut your waste, recycle more and make your Halloween a howling success!
• Don’t let your creative pumpkins go to waste – recipes for tasty pumpkin soups and other food tips can be found on the ‘love food, hate waste’ website ni.lovefoodhatewaste.com
• Any food that can’t be eaten like the pumpkin shells or leftover crisps, nuts can be composted using your brown bin
• Use your recycling bin/box to recycle all your drinks cans, plastic bottles, sweet and biscuit tins
• When having a party why not use dishes, cutlery, napkins and tablecloths that can be washed and reused instead of disposable plastic and paper tableware
• Instead of buying a Halloween costume why not make your own costumes from old clothes and other items you already have around the house
• Making your own decorations by reusing materials from home will not only save you money but will keep the kids entertained for hours!
For more information about disposing of your Halloween waste and for helpful hints and tips download the free Bin-Ovation app from the Play or App Store or contact Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council on 0300 0300 900.
You can pick up a free roll of compostable caddy liners, to help with your food waste disposal, at your local recycling centre.